Thursday, April 19, 2007

Working hard and playing harder

The definition of working hard and playing harder was never clearer to me than now. I am so extremely tired, emotionally and physically drained, challenged and stretched. Yet I make sure that I still get my sushi dinners, my clubbing sessions and my chill out kakis to help me through this intense period. Not forgetting the gym and swimming to keep my body alive...

Certainly I will be going to China again. Just a matter of exactly when and perhaps I might get to stay in Shanghai for a day or two. That will be the motivation that pulls me through all the hardwork. People dun pay you to fly for free. I see the intense amt of hardwork and brain power plus physical strain ahead. I already am going through them. I just hope that the weekend comes faster. I need sleep. I am so damn scared that I will start to age terribly if these goes on for a prolonged period. Actually, I guess this will not end, and will be equally intense when i move on to finance.

There is a lot of action goin on. This is the best time to be learning everything. Right now, the learning curve is steep, though not so much of the technical knowledge, it is the skills here that is pretty important too. When you have to report to 3 bosses with 3 different objectives, and at the same time clearing up mess, its a great test of ya tolerance for stress, for being questioned, and for working efficiently and the most importantly, your communication skills. I am thankful for the opportunity and the exposure. Seriously I dun think i can be doing what I am doing now should I be anywhere else. At the end of the day, the little praises and the fact that I know that you still believe in me and are giving me opportunities are enough to keep me going. The exposure is immense here.

I am happy to be here. It is a tough journey. It is similar to doing all the intense projects in smu, I was equally worn out then. But for now, the difference is that you dun dictate your project. So you have to do what is right, and at the same time, convince people that it is right. And you cant go ahead until there is formal approval. Sometimes it is not the outcome that kills, it is the constant ding donging...

If you can manage people in the company well, your management skills would be able to put you through a lot of things, including your business. Of course, that is on the basis that your business model is not fundamentally flawed.

I need to sleep.

Working hard. PLaying harder.

No comments: