Sunday, July 09, 2006

Day 2 - Yantai 2nd Day, Networking dinner 1

Right now, I’m sprawling on the bed in my hotel room with this mud mask on my face and the time reads 1:05am. I am totally worn out. Physically that is. However, emotionally and spiritually, I’m more energetic than ever.

My day today started with me snoozing my alarm at 6 15am and finally getting off at 630am. I was down for breakfast by 7:05, haha.. already 5 min late from the agreed time with MC. He arrived only at 715. I had a simple breakfast, nothing fantastic but still, I enjoyed the bun with butter and jam. Bread and butter never go wrong anyway. The Tea that they serve is a little murky even when no milk is added and the taste is a little weird.

Well, by 745, we were up in the car and headed for the office.

Today I did hardcore work by explaining and talking to the locals the scheme and getting the documentation and all. They are all very nice people here and I really enjoy listening to the mandarin with heavy Shandong accent. AHah.. They sounded so cute, and that reminded me of the Shandong kids on that Wang fei hong show. AHAHa….

I did everything in mandarin and Im glad to see MC doing better each time he battles thru the mandarin explanation. As a director, he feels he needs to be there to encourage the workers and also to show how much the company values these executives and managers. Therefore, no matter how difficult it was for him to have all the financial terms in Chinese and also to piece the sentences cohesively, he battled on and by the end of it.. he could do one whole explanation in mandarin on his own. BRAVO!!

This took up my whole morning and after lunch. I was real busy.

Today’s lunch we had the “bentos” sent to us, as usual but the food today didn’t really fill me up. I had the chicken mid wings and rice with some of the vege. I didn’t really touch the fish cos there were ample bones and Im someone who hates eating fish with bones. I will still eat but given a choice, I wouldn’t unless the fish is big and so are the bones. HAha… Ivy and Meeshall brought me to the provision shop beside the shipyard. WOAH!!!! I was so impressed with the variety of ice cream they had. I had taken some pictures for this and you guys can take a look. The names of these ice cream did provide us with a good 5-10 min laugh in the shop. This milk ice cream was named, “DA NAI BANG” in Chinese. I had a “sui Bian”. Very delicious ice cream, with variety and packaging very similar to those meiji ice cream we had back home. I had 2 sticks of ice cream today. One was this green bean flavour , a treat from George Wong, whom I helped to bring his medicine and stuff over from this wife. The Ice cream I pulled out from the wrapper was like flat at the front and the rest of it looked normal. Basically the ice cream was in a melted state b4 and that explains the out of shape. According to Meeshall… AHAHHA.. they ever bought this ice cream with the ice cream stick totally outside the ice cream. That was how bad the melt was. AHAHA. The ice creams were delicious.
Soon, we interns were all invited by the chairman for dinner with the citibankers. HAha.. Networking session. CHINA BIZ 101… There were loads of food and we were at this fancy seafood restaurant. B4 we even had anything, were served beer to stand around and talk. I was freaking hungry already by that time and well…. Beer on empty stomach.. And so soon.. Came the red wine. We were sabooed to bottoms up the red wine by CM. AHha… He was already drunk and that was his third drunk experience of the DAY. Yes… Day… Bottoms up and more bottoms up… I tried to salvage the situation by eating more food, hoping that the stomach will recognize the food first and ignore the alcohol. Beer + red wine… and that kept going… Finally, AHAH.. I couldn’t take it anymore. When one of the Investment banker was talking and asking me about what I wanna do after I graduate, I couldn’t answer him. I had only one picture in mind. That of the toilet bowl. And SO, I finally plucked up courage to walk away from the table and made my way to the toilet. The toilet in our VIP room is really huge and very nice. But anyway, I was there to puke. AHhaha.. .. I was there for about 15-20 min cos the first 10 min I couldn’t quite puke but I know im not in a state ready to go back out there to continue chit chatting. AHah.. Mc sent meeshall to check if I was ok cos hahaha.. he was the last person I talked to and told that I have reached my limit.. AHaha…. That was a very wise thing to do. Puke all out. Immediately I felt like I could get back on my feet and stand straight and still look normal b4 I actually step out. IT would be extremely disgusting if I were to puke on the table. AHAHa

The Shandong guys are real drinkers. They bottoms up and bottoms up… WOah.. HEng im not some big shot here. Not many bottom ups to do. And they usually do it like 3 at one shot. Man… HAHah… Everyone was red and these Chinese guys are really quite drunk. A lot of people knocked out tonight, the CEO, even the Chinese… MC was nice in checking if I was alright a few times. AHah… and yup I was cos the puking saved me.

Soon after, it was time to leave but mc and bc were going for a 2nd round with just the citibankers and MC asked if I wanna come along. Since I was already feeling better, I decided to tag along again. This time we were at this Orient hotel bar where the citibankers are staying. Im on a hot green tea this time, no more drinking.

I really felt very very blessed to be given this internship. Nobody with a 6 week internship gets to go on a biz trip. At the end of week 1 of my internship, mc told me I might get a trip. At week 4, here I am, staying in a lavish 6 star(china standard) hotel, Singapore standard, this would be 4 star. Its really nice hotel, other than the food, it is a pretty perfect hotel. But food pretty much suck in this city I heard, so I guess this makes the hotel more perfect. This is my first hotel stay all by myself. I thought I wouldn’t really enjoy it but I was so tired and this hotel is so cosy and comfy, im in love with this place.

I would really like to thank Mc… Cos deep in my heart, Im really grateful and appreciative of this opportunity he has given me, believed in me and allowed me to execute 2 projects for him.

He just changed the domestic flight on Friday from yantai to Beijing from 6pm to 10am. HAha… Our SQ flight back to SG is at 2355 and so, he said we should go check out Beijing and travel around to shop and have fun b4 we actually fly back. HAha.. he even found out from his friend if it was possible to leave our baggage at the Beijing airport b4 we actually leave to play. Yes.. everything is confirmed and I shall see how things go…
I need to sleep now. Really sleepy. Tom is another long day and another big client from Oslo, Norway is coming.. I foresee all of us interns going for a dinner again. YAWNZ…

Now its 1:49am. I need to be up at 6:00am tom. Here goes me life.. I have been living on 4-5 hours of sleep everyday 2 days b4 I left for china. The traveling here killed me further as my sleep debt snowballed.

No comments: