This is officially the blog that nette and i Share. Its going to be a convenient way for her to share with me her HK exchange and my Bkk exchange and hence the name of the blog.
Well... I have tons of photos to show and really a lot to write and some of which i wrote way before i had internet connection and i will slowly put them in. Basically my life in bangkok wasnt that rosy at all until 9th Jan when i finally moved into the service apartment where all the other exchange students are staying.
Ok, below was what i wrote in the hotel on the first 2 days. The English may not be that right but im really exhausted now to do any hardcore editing. Bear with it yeah?
On the day of arrival:
After the plane landed, we were told by the pilot that we were 30 min ahead of schedule. However, after we are nearing our parking lot, apparently it was still occupied by another plane. Well… had to wait then. Soon after, we began to queue for our passports to be cleared. The queue was freaking long. Gosh… There were only 3 counters in service for my side. I looked at the heading from all the counters in service, they were all for Foreign passports. NONE of the Thai passport counters were opened. So I wonder what privilege one gets for touching down at one’s hometown airport. I just reached Bangkok and for some strange reasons, my head is already occupied with images of Changi airport arrival hall. While waiting, I went to check out the exchange rate of Sing to Baht… hmm… its 24.30. Higher than all that I changed at Bishan for mummy. Felt a pinch there. But then again, not my money… haha…
Ok… collected my almost 40kg luggage and soon I saw meanie. AHha…. I was trying to get his attention cos after I smiled at him, he didn’t seem to show any response. Think it was my nerd specs. AHah… He got much tanner than the last time I met him. Oh, within seconds, I saw his Pearlie whites... stark difference from his skin colour.
Asia hotel… Woah… was amazed by the crowd I saw at the lobby. It was only after much later did I realize that at the basement of the hotel was this cabaret performance which cost 1000Bt per person. Was starving by then, we had dinner at this mini cafĂ© beside the hotel. Wasn’t that cheap to eat there but the green curry was really superb! Dinner cost about 500Bt when we could have the same thing for 200Bt max. See, the way to eat cheap and survive is not to compare how much the food cost when you change the Bt to Sing dollar but to compare to the price of food at places where the local patronizes.
Great, back to the hotel. Mummy immediately on the “mini radio” like thing which when on, will play the chanting of “ Da bei zhou” and something else which I cannot remember. This hotel is very old. There is this loud and long howling followed by this hollow sound each time people from dunno on top or below flushes. The aircon will make noise once in a while. Very scary at first. But now, its fine. We actually requested to change room yesterday but the receptionist said the rooms were all full. Sigh… must wait for the next day. Forget it. After a while, mum and I got used to it… with the chanting from the radio, things seem fine. Nobody likes to move 40kg luggage around anyway.
Day 2
Let’s talk about today. But I realized im really worn out already. We started with the usual hotel breakfast. And hahah.. what a coincidence, I met 4 of my Anderson classmates. It was their last day at Bangkok. Soon I headed for the BTS with mummy. The hotel is actually directly linked to the skytrain. How convenient.
First stop. Erawan shrine.
Next, I had lunch with mummy at MBK. I went to buy Sim card. Oh, meanie wasn’t free today so we were on our own. I decided to follow mean’s advice to look for Sim card at MBK. He said level 2 or 3 of MBK would have many many stalls selling it. I only managed to find one stall and instead of the ORANGE, I bought HAPPY card. The person introduced it to me though I kept asking her what is the difference between all the cards and the only reply she gave me was that they are all the same. I felt like strangling meanie when I went to level 4. Cos 90% of the stalls there were selling sim card.
Hmm… Ok. Enough of what I did. I was really happy with the food I got at MBK. I was craving for this desert, this coconut crispy pancake kind of thing. IT was made on the spot and I bought one at 10Bt. Damn cheap. This is like $0.40. AHha… from the same stall, I saw someone order crepe. That was the best crepe ever. So cheap also. One big Crepe. Nicely done and definitely Thai and not the Japanese kind. It was going for 25Bt. There were pork floss and sausages with this butter and mayonese and chilli sauce. Crispy, big and absolutely fabulous. I had dinner at MBK foodcourt after I went to Chula to register. Ok, I will talk abt chula in a while. Anyway, I had “hot and spicy squid” for dinner followed by red ruby desert. Yummy… Something different.
Ok. I must talk about this. The trip to chula. My mum got on my nerves totally…. She was complaining.. and complaining and telling me how I cannot survive if I was on my own when all the time I was the one finding the way, talking to people. Yes, my thai did not allow me to tell the taxi driver the way to Business and Accountancy building in Thai, but how on earth would I know? And it doesn’t matter cos I know once the driver brought us to chula, I know I can find my way there. Besides, if I wasn’t streetsmart enough, we would have gotten into the cabs which were waiting by the roadside and didn’t looked that safe instead of one which I insisted on walking a little further and the a family just got off the cab. True enough , this driver is one decent nice man. He did not insist on a fixed fare and instead, he on the metre. He is really nice. The rest of the taxis which were by the road, though they weren’t really that dangerous, but if a lot of Tuk tuk began to swerve in front of the taxis so dangerously the moment they see customers trying to get cabs, it just doesn’t make sense to get pass these tuk tuk to reach the Taxis which I didn’t even feel safe to board to begin with. Anyway, Chula was so near MBK. HAha… the poor driver made a U turn and moved a bit. Guess what, the metre didn’t really move. It was still at 35Bt. Finally, we reached Chula. Cannot stand it when she thinks im like a kid. Im not a kid anymore. She just gets sarcastic and sometimes annoying with her attitude and that is just not right. She is not supportive. She wants to make me feel like I made the wrong choice in wanting to come here. Please. I AM Already here. And I WANT to be here. I will survive. Though many a time I was damn scared too…. Im ok. I will be ok. I feel so stress nowadays. I cannot make mistakes. I must know which way to go. I must know how to speak Thai if the person doesn’t understand English. With her,,, I need to show her all these. Its only 2nd day. Im getting stressed out. Goodness…. Breathe…..
No comments:
Post a Comment