Saturday, November 22, 2008

H.E.L.P

I caught an episode of H.E.L.P on CNA.

I was immediately reminded of those days back in Nepal.

The H.E.L.P project assisted villages to get out of their cycle of poverty. However, due to the insufficient funds, only 10 priviledged families are included in the program. According to Tommy, the guy who was approached to help head this project, these villages do not own the farm lands in their village. They were always at the command of the land owners and hence, their income is not very much within their control and aboveall, it is always insufficient.

An interview with a man revealed that his family consisting of 4 kids needed USD 3 a day to get by but he is only earning a mere USD1.2 to USD2.0 each day.

I cant help but compare at how my life is now and how things are at all these places around the world. Surely there is something I can continue to do. Surely things cant stopped at Nepal.

I guess I understand where Chris was coming from that day about her wanting to do more for the community. I would very much wanna continue this too.

And I hope that we can do it together!

Well... I didnt know how jialat my Hokkien was, until I had to explain to ah gong was the documentary was about. I had to fall back to mandarin cos my hokkien sentence structure is a bit wrong. Plus my vocab also not that good and most importantly, this isnt daily conversation, it is explaining things like farming, land owner, poverty etc etc.. haha. And maybe that's why i keep practising my hokkkien with CC whenever we are overseas, especially in China.. so that people dun understand what we are talking.

Haha.. Not sure if I blogged about this. Two trips ago, when i was in China and in one of the meetings, it was done in cantonese. HAha.. they ask me if i understand cos the other guy who was in his mandarin is pretty weak and the guy chairing the meeting wasnt confident of his english. AHhaa. and we did it in cantonese. I can understand but i never had the chance to practise... But that was quite fun.. interesting.

No comments: